In The Pirate Fairy, dust-talent fairy Zarina performed alchemical experiments with pixie dust and found that by mixing approximately a daily allotment of dust, a grain or two of blue pixie dust, and another ingredient or two, she could create other colors of dust that would allow any fairy to perform tasks and feats associated with other talents. For example, a mix made with crushed sunflower seeds and a pinch of moonflower produced amber pixie dust, which allowed any fairy it was put on to control light. Putting any of these pixie dusts on a fairy will apparently override his or her original talent, only allowing that fairy to use the new talent. What's more, alchemized pixie dust appears to be more potent than normal pixie dust, as evidenced by Iridessa causing flowers to grow simply by walking across the ground, Fawn being able to condense a shaft of light to the point that she could scorch wood with it, and Tinker Bell being able to raise an enormous wall of water.
Precisely how long the fairies would have their new talents isn't explicitly stated, though it's at least two nights and two days before Zarina used more alchemized pixie dust to change the fairies back to their original talents.
Known alchemized dusts
- Animal-talent dust: Made with eggshells. Orange in color.
- Garden-talent dust: Made from the essence of flowers. Pink in color.
- Light-talent dust: Made with sunflower seeds and a pinch of moonflower. Amber in color.
- Fast-flying-talent dust: Made with raven feathers. Purple in color.
- Tinker-talent dust: Made with a green rock. Green in color.
- Water-talent dust: Made with dewdrops. Cyan in color.